Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

In this book, aliens from Mars decide to travel to England and party like it's 1899.  Their math was a bit off, though, and they landed a few years early. This makes them a bit upset, because they can calculate how to shoot themselves off Mars and land in England, but they don't know what year it is. So they do what any angry alien would do in their situation, they started melting people and blowing crap up.  Why are aliens always such drama queens?

All in all, this book is pretty interesting. I'm not used to reading science fiction set in the past.  I think I found the book more interesting because of that.  I enjoyed reading about England and London from back in the day.  The alien invasion was interesting, too.  It's such an overused plot device these days that I don't think it would have been as enjoyable if the defense of Earth wasn't so different from what I'm used to.

If you decide to read it, be advised that it's a bit heavy on the geography side of things.  Specifically English and London geography.  I live in London and I had a hard time following everywhere the characters went.  Maybe it's a good idea to have a map handy (I didn't, though.  I just pretended I knew where they were talking about).

If you feel like reading an old-school alien invasion story, I'd recommend this one. If you're not so interested in it, I'd give it a pass.

Click here to view this book on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment