Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells


Let me start off with a quote, "The creature had exactly the mild but repulsive features of a sloth..."  Let me stop right there.  He just called sloths repulsive!  WTF is wrong with this guy?  He's calling this gentle creature repulsive:


These animals:


As you can see, they are far from repulsive.  I can't recommend this book for that reason alone.  In all seriousness, while I think that I should have found this book a somewhat interesting read, I just didn't.  I didn't care about the characters, the animals, or the plot.  It was empty reading.  In the book, Dr. Moreau creates hideous monstrosities of men out of animals.  Unlike in the Island of Dr. Hibbert, Moreau isn't creating these ban-beasts out of people, he's making them out of animals exclusively.  It's a horrible thing to do, but it doesn't get me caring.  Of course, eventually one of the tortured animals goes crazy, which leads to all the animals going crazy.  Not even this added danger to the human characters interested me, since I didn't care about any of them.

So, not recommended for multiple reasons, but mostly because he insulted sloths.

Click here to view this book on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment